Columbus Parks and Rec Summer Nutrition programming 2017
The Caravan provided a special Chef Battle series to select community centers during the summers of 2016 and 2017.
The goals were to:
- Provide an engaging and informative nutrition program to summer feed sites sponsored by Columbus Recreation and Parks.
- Use only produce, seeds, and grains to promote different ways of preparing and eating fresh foods.
- Excite and inspire children to get creative with their own meals.
- Use entertainment to encourage children to try new fruits and vegetables.
Fresh Thyme Farmers Market Chef Battle series 2017
The Caravan provided a special ongoing Chef Battle series to select Fresh Thyme Farmers Market grocery stores throughout Ohio.
The goals were to:
- Engage shoppers in the Battle, and use children as sous chefs whenever possible.
- Use only ingredients found that day in the store.
- Focus on creative flavor and texture parings to showcase the ingredients.
Gladden House Private Lessons 2014
The Caravan teaches quarterly cooking lessons for kids and teens at the Gladden Community House
The goals are to:
- Provide lessons focused on seasonal themes, using only ingredients from the Gladden Food Pantry.
- Children participate in cooking, serving and cleaning up.
- Teach the essentials skills for working in a kitchen, including safety techniques and terminology.
The Caravan received a 2015 Community Partnership Award from Gladden House.
What's in the 'Fridge? 2013
Each video focused on a different recipe, designed to be simple enough for a child to make. The goals were:
- Introduce basic cooking skills.
- Impart nutritional information.
- Empower children to make their own food.
Mid-Ohio Foodbank 2012
The Caravan planned and hosted a series of cooking demonstrations at the Mid-Ohio Foodbank.
- Preparing 25 servings of each meal for distribution to local food pantries
- Creating cooking lessons for each meal
- Teaching the lessons to groups while preparing the meal
Project Hope 2011
The Caravan volunteered with Project Hope, a non-profit aimed at providing kids with constructive after school activities.
Our involvement included:
- Providing guidance and mentorship to youth in the program.
- Creating and producing both a 2 hour cooking class and music workshop for the 50 participants.